What is 5G?
It's the fifth generation of mobile network and it promises to deliver a massive leap forward in both speed and quality.
What is the benefit of 5G?
- Faster speed & quality - Make a call or use your data even in busy places - on station platforms, in stadiums and at festivals.
- Download faster - Download anything from films and music to updates and apps in seconds, not minutes.
- Stream seamlessly - Stream large videos with hardly any buffering, wherever you are.
- Video call in HD - Catch up uninterrupted, with high quality HD calls .
- Leave lag behind - A near-instant connection means a lot less lag - so your daily data use will be seamless.
Is 5G safe?
Yes - 5G is safe to use, and we have a commitment to safety and our customers. Thanks to years of detailed scientific research, Government legislation and international guidelines, we’re fully compliant with all national and international electromagnetic frequency regulations.
What you will need to use 5G services?
- A 5G compatible handset: Not all phones are currently 5G compatible. Check your phone settings to know if your phone is 5G compatible or not.
- Android phones: Tap on Settings >> Network & internet >> Mobile Network >> Preferred Network type. You should see all the Mobile Network technologies supported such as 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G. If 5G is listed, then your phone supports it.
- IOS phones: Among iPhones, only iPhone 12 and the later models like iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max support 5G. So, if your iPhone is older than iPhone 12, it won’t support 5G.
- Your Lebara SIM in the 5G handset (You will need an unlocked phone to be able to use a Lebara SIM)
- Be in an area with 5G services – Check here to see if you are in a 5G area.
Will I be charged extra for using 5G?
No, there will be no extra charges for using 5G. However, 5G does mean you get faster data speeds and may use up your data faster.
How do I know if I am in a 5G coverage area?
We run on the Vodafone network and 5G is currently available in 129 cities and towns across the UK, with more locations being added regularly. You can check this tool to see if you are in a 5G area currently.
What happens when I move out of 5G area?
Your network will automatically switch to 4G when you move out of a 5G area. You don’t have to do anything and you service should not be disrupted.